LEMMINKÄINEN CORPORATION ONLINE RELEASE 11 DECEMBER 2012
ZERO ACCIDENTS AS A TARGET
Lemminkäinen is committed to the shared occupational safety principles of the Confederation of Finnish Construction Industries RT. The objective of these principles is to give the sector a push in achieving the 'Zero accidents target'. All work sites will also adopt the practice of holding weekly meetings focusing on occupational safety.
In a commitment signed by Lemminkäinen, we pledge to observe the following:
- Work sites/factories with zero accidents is a matter of pride for us
- We will strive to reduce the number of accidents by 30 per cent a year
- We will take systematic measures to improve occupational safety
- We will investigate the causes of all accidents and hazardous events
- We will maintain sufficient resources to address occupational safety issues
- We will report on and keep a record of accidents in accordance with shared guidelines
Lemminkäinen will also expect its contracting parties to commit themselves to these targets. To this end, we recommend to our subcontractors that they sign the commitment at the website of the Confederation of Finnish Construction Industries RT, www.rakennusteollisuus.fi.
"To boost positive development in occupational safety promotion, we introduced regular weekly meetings for all employees at all of our work sites at the beginning of December," comments Timo Kohtamäki, CEO at Lemminkäinen. "Our employees and subcontractors jointly attend weekly meetings, on a per-team/per-work site basis. From the beginning of 2013, we will extend this policy to all of our work sites outside Finland as well."
Weekly meetings are aimed at activating every employee to assume a responsible attitude towards a safe work environment, as well as gathering ideas from all employees at work sites for the further development of occupational safety, explains Kohtamäki.
Johanna Aarnio, Head of Environment and Safety
Tel. +358 2071 53265